Monday, January 21, 2008

Answer to Case 5

Congratulations to Heather who correctly identified this organism! This is indeed Trichomonas hominis; a non-pathogenic flagellate from a stool specimen. It has now been renamed as Pentatrichomonas hominis.

Here is her description which I include because it so perfectly describes the motion of the Trichomonads:

"This is more what I call the "Night at the Roxbury Guys" movement--you know, the head-side-twitch to the beat of the music thing. (Don't know what I mean? Check it out here:

Watch the YouTube video


This is characteristic motility of Trichomonas species. If in stool, then, this would be Trichomonas hominis, and in a genital source would be Trichomonas vaginalis. T. hominis is a commensal and considered nonpathogenic, while T. vaginalis is, of course, a problem."


Go and watch the youtube video (you don't have to watch the whole thing - just the first 5 seconds and you'll get the idea), and then check out the following. Alex from Rip and Read (also my husband) made this for me. Fun!



1 comment:

Heather said...

I LOVE the video!!!! Too awesome!